General Information

1. For help:
Call 110 for crimes and accidents.
Call 119 for fire and ambulance.
How to make an emergency call from a public telephone by dialing 110 or 119

2. Be careful of thieves:
Theft made up the greater part of all crimes committed in Miyagi Prefecture last year.
A large percentage were targeted on bicycles, motorbikes and cars.
Be careful of burglars, pickpockets and molesters, too.

3. Report of lost and found articles to police:
If you lose or find valuables (e.g. wallet), please report them to the nearest police box or police station.

4. Tough on drugs:
Possession, usage, transfer, production or import of cocaine, heroin and other illegal drugs are prohibited by law.

5.Driver's license information:
Those who have a driver's license issued in a foreign country and who have lived more than 3 months in the issuing country are permitted to have their licenses altered to a Japanese one, provided that the licence is genuine and its validity period remains.
For further information, call your nearest police station or Driver's License Center at 022-373-3601.

6. Procedure to obtain a Criminal Record Certificate Those who are going to settle down in a foreign country, or stay there for a long time, may be required to submit their criminal record certificate from Japan. If they fail to submit this certificate, their entry in the other country may be rejected. As a service to these people, the Police will issue a criminal record certificate, with the request made by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

7. In case of fire and first-aid:
In case of fire, sudden illness or injury, call 119. Emergency calls to the fire department from public telephones can be made in the same way that you call police by dialing 110.

Emergency Number 110
What should you call 110?

[Please note: An English speaking officer may not always be available.]
Five points in making a 110 emergency call:

1. What happened?]
Details of the crime or accident; theft, fight, traffic accident, etc.]
2. When and where?
What time was it? Address of the scene or a landmark nearby.
3. What is the current situation?
Is anyone injured?
4. What are the distinguishing features of assailants?
How many people were involved, their age, height, clothes, etc. and the direction they ran to. (If they used a car: license plate number, make and model.)
5. Your name, address and phone number.
Are you a victim, witness or offender?

How to make a dial 110 emergency call

110 is for emergencies only. Prank calls tie up the lines so valid emergencies cannot get through. If your problem is not an immediate emergency, please dial #9110 for further assistance.

Pick up the receiver and dial 110.

Dial 110 and first tell the party that you are calling from a cellular phone or PHS, before proceeding.
Do not leave the place from which you are calling. Inform the officer of the address of the place and landmarks nearby.
To prevent losing reception, try to stay in the same location.
Even if the call is disconnected midway, do not hang up.
If you are driving, pull over to a safe place before you make an emergency call.
Keep your phone's power on for a while after you have made a report, as you may be called back to confirm the reported matter.

Gray phones
Pick up the receiver and dial 110. Make sure to note the public telephone number.
Green phones
Pick up the receiver and press the red button on the telephone (in the lower left corner) and dial 110. Make sure to note the public telephone number.

Telephone / E-mail Directory Miyagi Prefectural Police Headquarters

Phone lines are available for consultation & information regarding police matters
Please feel free to contact us with your questions.

[Please note: An English speaking officer may not always be available.]

Consultation,requests opinions to Police General inquiries 022-266-9110
From push phone, public phone, cell phone PHS #9110
Fax line for consultation 022-227-4110
Juvenile delinquency concerns Bullying hot line 022-227-4110
Juvenile support 022-222-4970
Narcotics, stimulant drugs fraudulent business Drug fraudulent business 022-261-1110
Firearms consultation information Firearms hot line 022-266-1074
Sexual crime victim consultation Sexual crime victim 022-221-7198
Boryokudan consultation information Anti-Boryokudanhelp line 022-222-8930
Motorcycle nuisance consultation information Hot-Rodder hot line 022-266-0110
Obtaining permission for use of road Permission for use of road Police Station Traffic Section
Police personnel recruitment Recruitment(Toll Free) 0120-204606
Police Musical Band dispatch (performance) application 022-221-7171 Extension 2174
Police HQ. Building study tour application Extension 2183

Internet E-mail Addresses

High-Tech crime information & consultation cyber@mail.police.pref.miyagi.jp